WHAT IS FIBER OPTIC SHAPE SENSING?
Fiber optic shape sensing technology reconstructs and displays the entire shape of a thin, flexible optical fiber. When integrated into medical devices, this provides robots and surgeons with unprecedented 3D perspective on the location and guidance of surgical tools, enables endless opportunities in robotic control, and frees patients from harmful radiative imaging alternatives. Whenever line of sight is not an option, shape sensing provides the critical information required to make the right decision in the most difficult environments. In addition to the medical field it empowers numerous applications in the Aerospace, Civil Engineering, Mining and Energy markets.
MARKETS FOR FIBER OPTIC SHAPE SENSING
- Robotic surgery
- MRI receiver coil location and shape for image correction and optimization
- Orthopedic surgical tool position, control, and alignment
- Biomechanics movement measurement
AEROSPACE AND DEFENSE APPLICATIONS
- Inspection tool shape, location, and navigation
- Wing shape and other structural deformation
CIVIL ENGINEERING AND ENERGY APPLICATIONS
- Soil settling
- Structural displacement and deformation
- Remotely operated vehicle umbilical or tether shape and location
- Mining, boring, and drilling tool positioning
Fiber optic shape sensing generally requires three key components; a fiber sensing data acquisition system, a fiber-based 3D shape sensor, and an...
Effective guidance and navigation of medical devices inside the human anatomy is a critical aspect in many procedures, but remains tricky with...
The Shape Sensing Company operates from Austin, Texas and Santa Barbara, California - USA. We look forward to hearing from you. Please use the form below to request more information.